Saturday, November 1, 2008

Welcome

Welcome to my new/old blog. Things look a little sparse right now but give me some time and hopefully it will look like a decent page. Design and tech are not my strong suits. A good techie could have probably finished all of this in 10 minutes. It took me all morning.

Anyway, a little background. I am still working in real estate and still with Metropolitan, the firm for whom I started writing a blog. They are in the middle of redesigning their website and it was an opportune time for me to start my own blog. Hopefully, I will be able to bring over most of my content next week, but in the meantime I’ll start creating some new stuff.

Metro asked me to start a blog for them back in March and frankly it was something I never thought about doing before. So take it from me, it was a big surprise personally when I found out I loved blogging. I owe them big time for getting me into this. I’m thrilled to be able to move over here and start my own.

You won’t find a lot different. I’ll probably still go at things from a financial and economic point of view. I’m involved in real estate so look for a fair amount of content here to be geared in that direction. By the same token, now that I have to answer only to myself, there will probably be a few more pointed articles and I’ll probably venture into politics a little more, particularly as it relates to the economy or certain industries. I also have a couple of new ideas I’ll be trying out.

I think this site has better comment capability than did the old one, so please feel to say anything and everything. I learn a lot from my readers. You will probably see a “Tip Jar” on the left. I debated long and hard about whether or not to include it. I routinely contribute to other blogs I read either by clicking on their advertising or leaving a couple of bucks when they have a similar feature. I figure that they work long and hard putting the stuff the benefits me together so why not throw a little money their way. I’m still queasy about doing it so let me know if it offends anyone. If a lot of you say yes then I’ll get rid of it.

As always, give me feedback. Tips, ideas for articles and even negative feedback are welcome. Oh, and by the way, be sure and subscribe to the feed on this site so you continue to get notices as new posts go up. The button is located in the right hand column.

Tom Lindmark

Oops, I forgot to tell you about the name of this blog. It comes from a column that George Will once wrote about the critical mistake of failing to ask what happens if I do so and so. Will used the example of Admiral Yamamoto, the chief of naval operations for the Japanese Imperial Fleet in World War ll. When asked if he could bomb the American Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor, he responded that yes he could lay waste to it given a few military assets. Then he looked at those who had raised the prospect and is reputed to have said "But then what?" You see Yamamoto had studied at Harvard and knew the American psyche well. He knew full well that waking the sleeping giant would eventually spell disaster and defeat for the Japanese.
It’s a question that I see glossed over or ignored more times than not. You are likely to hear me ask it frequently.