Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bush Explains Tarp To Obama

I've never posted a comment I read on someone else's blog so if I'm violating any taboos, I apologize. This appeared on Naked Capitalism this evening. I found it cynical, disrespectful and totally amusing. I hope you enjoy it as well. (By the way, the post by Yves Smith on AIG is top notch as well.)

I wish I was a fly on the wall for the recent meeting between Bush and Obama:

Obama: "So that's all there is to it?"

Bush: "Yeah. It's crazy simple. You just tell the country that it's about to collapse, and scare the crap out of them. Get Congress to authorize you to give away $700 billion. Hell, none of those idiots had the slightest clue what was going on. I know you didn't

"Obama: "No, I just knew I had to be there to look like I was doing something.

"Bush: "Don't feel bad, Barack. None of your colleagues had a clue. Did you see the look on McCain's face in that meeting? He looked like an old man with amnesia who didn't even know his own name.

"Obama: "And then you just start spreading all this money out to your friends....

"Bush: "Yeah. Well, of course you have to make it a little complicated, but just keep the talking point on "We're saving the financial system.

"Obama: "Wow. This is great.

"Bush: "I really envy you. You're coming in at just the right time. The s*** hasn't even BEGUN to hit the fan yet. You'll be able to cause mass hysteria next year. You can get Ben to run the printing presses like mad, and funnel it to whoever you want. I assume you have people who you can trust to kick enough of it back to you.

"Obama: "I'm tight with ACORN, man.

"Bush: "There you go. Your base will love you for it. 'Community Redevelopment.'

"Obama: "Well, this has been an eye-opener. I actually had thought we were saving our financial system when we passed tarp.

"Bush: (laughing so hard that tears are running down his cheeks) "Man, we've even got the Wall Street Journal believing that!

"Obama: "I really underestimated you. So anyway, what's the best room for keeping a puppy that hasn't been housebroken?

"Bush: "I'd suggest the little one where Bill and Monica used to hide. We've sealed that one with duct tape and have never opened it."